- CMS is proud to announce that Mrs. Makesha Spivey is our Teacher of the Year and Mrs. Shante White is our Teacher Assistant of the Year! We are so proud of both of these outstanding ladies and the dedication they give our students, school and community!
- Congratulations to our Hunter Safety Team Members who were awarded with their individual awards for their accomplishments on Monday evening. The team won the district and came in 6th in the state.
- Congratulations to all our athletes for their accomplishments this year! They will receive their individual and team awards this evening.
Chowan Broadcast 5-22
The CMS PTA does great things for the students and teachers at Chowan Middle School! This year with your help we have funded many projects at our middle school. We helped complete the outside classroom gazebo along with the LOWES grant we received. This included having custom tables built. We provided student/teacher planners in the fall and will provide free snow cones for students and staff at the upcoming EOG celebration. We will also provide breakfast for 4 days of EOG/NCFE testing for all students, staff, and proctors. Our PTA bought 2 widescreen televisions for our cafeteria to use for student announcements and meetings, along with a new volleyball net. We will also be providing money to the library for technology needs, quiz bowl response systems, name plates to go outside staff doors, and repairing the volleyball playing area. We have also funded 2 breakfasts, one for our bus drivers and one for staff for teacher appreciation week. We provided holiday gifts for staff, prizes/cake for teacher appreciation week, PTA drawings, classrooms sets of pencils, and CMS apparel for students to wear if they need a change of clothes.
We would like to ask you to support us again as we plan for the upcoming 2015-2016 school year. We will be hosting an end of the year Golden Corral steak dinner fundraiser on one of our teacher workdays,. These funds will be used to buy new floor mats for our buildings, to purchase outside picnic tables for students, and give each teacher a fall donation to purchase classroom supplies for our students.
Tickets cost $9 for a delicious steak plate that includes a baked potato, green beans, and a roll. We will be serving plates at lunch from and again for dinner from Please support us and purchase plates for your family and friends. Orders can be picked up on the 17th by entering the bus parking lot and pulling up to the cafeteria doors. If you have a large order for a business please leave a message with the office. Lunch tickets and dinner tickets will be different colors. All orders/money are due .
Chowan Middle School eighth grade student Connor Wallen and Chowan Middle School teacher Debra Rook were honored at the fifth annual meeting of the North Carolina Association for Scholastic Activities (NCASA) held in Greensboro on May 11, 2015 .
Wallen was named the 2015 NCASA Middle School Student of the Year for his contributions to the Chowan Middle School Quiz Bowl over three years and for his academic excellence in online dual enrollment math courses. He is the son of Jeanette and Charles Wallen.
Rook, a Language Arts teacher at Chowan Middle, and Edenton-Chowan Schools Teacher of the Year, was recognized as the 2015 NCASA Scholastic Director of the Year. In addition, Rook was named to the organization’s Board of Directors and elected to serve as Secretary for the upcoming year.
- Congratulations to our 6th, 7th, and 8th grade bands and Jazz Ensemble for their outstanding performance Tuesday evening! A big thanks to Mr. Martin who worked hard to prepare the students for this annual event!
- Our Step Teams will be performing for the Britthaven Nursing Home on Friday, May 15th. The residents get to enjoy a great performance by our young men and women as well as receive a stuffed animal as a gift. Big thanks to Mr. Gatling and Shala Spence who coordinate this annual event!
- The Albemarle Sounds recently donated a check in the amount of $150 to each of the 4 schools in our county to support the vocal music programs!
Mark your Calendar
Also, please mark your calendars for the upcoming end of year state assessments. If you are able to contribute any time as a proctor, please call Connie Lamb at 221-4131. The dates are as follows:
: Social Studies NC Final Exam
: Earth and Environmental Science NC Final Exam (8th grade only)
: Math I EOC (8th grade only)
: Math EOG (6th - 8th)
: ELA EOG (6th - 8th)
: Science EOG and NC Final Exams (6th - 8th)
Awards Days for 6th and 7th grades will occur the week of.
: Godfrey, Prophet, Layden, Reinhold (CMS Cafeteria)
: Hobbs and Perry in the cafeteria
Hunt and Bunchin room 306
June 10: Olson, Horton, Nelson, Lynch (CMS Cafeteria at)
Joseph and Bunchin room 308
Elsbree and Spiveyin room 303
- Chowan Middle School’s Hunter Safety team competed in state competition last weekend. We finished 3nd in Trap/Shot Gun and 4th in Rifle. Trey Parrish got 3nd place in trap individual. We are proud of our students and all their hard work!
- Congratulations to the NCASA Art Showcase winners! Three students from CMS placed in the competition. Students had to create a piece of art inspired by the poem "Brooks Brothers Shirts" by Joseph Bathanti, NC Poet Laureate from 2012-2014.
Emilieigh White, Tully Ryan, Jessie Wilson and Tarryn Johnson submitted works for this competition.
Tully Ryan - 6th for his painting "Hard Work Pays Off"
Jessie Wilson - 4th (tied) for his photograph "Unsoiled is Overrated"
Tarryn Johnson - 2nd for her computer graphics (alter photograph) "Proclaim the (Wo)Man"
Awesome job everyone!